Get to know Buzet
Buzet is situated in the very north of Istria near the border with Slovenia. Its historic core, dating from the Middle Ages lies on a hilltop above a fertile valley of the longest Istrian river – the Mirna.
Today, Buzet is widely known as the ‘City of Truffles’ since the forests along the Mirna River are especially rich in this divine tuber. According to some views, the white truffle of Istria is as good as the most famous white truffle from the Italian region of Alba. In honour of this truffle, each year Truffle Days are organized in September and October.
On the second weekend in September a large folk festivity also take place in Buzet with a special attraction – a giant omelette (commonly known as ‘fritada’ or ‘fritaja’) with over 2 000 eggs and 10 kilograms off truffles is prepared in a huge pan. This event officially marks the beginning of Truffle Days in Istria.
In the surroundings of Buzet there are some very well preserved medieval towns.
History and Heritage
The area of Buzeština has been inhabited since ancient times. Proof of this are prehistoric remains of stone objects found in Golupska cave, Podrebarska cave and some other caves. Illyrian tribes inhabited these areas in the Bronze Age when they began to build hilltop settlements surrounded by walls.
From AD 177 to AD 476 this area was under Roman rule.
At the time of the plague, Buzet escaped this deadly disease, so that in AD 192 its inhabitants put up a commemorative tablet dedicated to goddess Augusta for having protected the town Pinquentum (Buzet) from this disease. So, Buzet was mentioned more than 1800 years ago. This period was followed by Byzantine rule and after the great movement of the peoples came the Croats and Slovenes. At the end of the 8th century Istria was under the rule of the Franks who introduced the feudal system. In order to protect Frankish properties, towns – fortifications were built, with German families as their feudal lords. The remains of Crni Grad, Bijeli Grad above Ročko Polje, as well as Petrapilosa castle in the valley of the Bračana river date from this period.
From 1421 Buzet recognized the Aquileian patriarch, and from that year until 1797 it came under Venetian rule. In 1435 the Buzet Statute was introduced, which was also recognized by the Venetian Doge.
In the mid 16th century Buzet prospered since this was a relatively peaceful period. It was a time when crafts developed, care was taken about possible enemy attacks, providing arms, fortifying the town walls. Mala šterna (Small well) was renovated at that time and both Velika and Mala vrata (Large and Small gates) were built.
After the fall of the Venetian Republic Istria came under Austrian rule, which lasted until 1918.
In the 19th and beginning of 20th century, within the national revival, the struggle for equality of the Croatian people was carried out in the field of politics, culture, economy and education. In 1887 the municipality of Buzet came under Croatian rule with Fran Flego as its first mayor.
The Buzet Earring
The bronze earring, known as the Buzet Earring in archaeological literature, was predominantly found in the early Middle Ages in the graves of the native as well as Romanized Illyrian-Celtic people in the area between the Adriatic coasts and the Alps, especially in northern Istria between Buzet and the west coast. In the literature the earring appears in the 7th and 8th centuries.
The Buzet Earring has been listed in the Cultural Heritage Register of the Republic of Croatia under the entry RRI-118 since 23rd October, 1968, while its samples have been kept in the Regional Museum of Buzet.
A silver replica of the Buzet Earring has been created as an original souvenir of Buzet.