Get to know Umag
Umag-Umago, small town and port on the north-western coast of Istria, presents ‘Croatia’s gateway to Europe’. It also has the reputation of the Istrian sports centre, since as the host of the ATP tournament for many years now, it attracts numerous top world tennis players.
Its beneficial features were already recognized by the Romans who turned it into their summer residence. The magnificence and splendour of those times today is reflected in the many Venetian houses in the old part of Umag-Umago.
At a distance of only 40 kilometres from Trieste, 150 kilometres from Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia and 50 nautical miles from Venice, Umag-Umago o is a favourite holiday destination with extraordinary excursion possibilities. Umag-Umago ’s hinterland offers newly discovered tourist attractions like mountaineering, caving and other chances for adventure enthusiasts.
First tourist entrance to Croatia
The old town of Umag-Umago is located on a small peninsula (which was once an island) on the north-western coast of Istria. It was built on the foundations of Roman archaeological ruins and it has preserved its network of narrow streets and a Medieval urban structure. Even the Romans proclaimed Umag-Umago o for their seaside resort and connected it with the mainland.
The new part of Umag-Umago stretches for the most part along the coast from Katoro-Catoro to Novigrad-Cittanova, where its main tourist capacities are located.
Apart from Umag-Umago, there are two more famous tourist destinations in this area – Savudrija-Salvore with its oldest lighthouse on the Croatian Adriatic Sea from the year 1826 and Lovrečica as a peaceful oasis for family vacations. Due to its geographical location, Umag-Umago o is the first Croatian tourist gate to / from Europe, 10 kilometers distance from the European highways.
Umag-Umago is also the first nautical gate from Central Europe to Croatia, located in an attractive bay with one of the most prestigious ACI marinas awarded with one of eleven Blue flags – the European standard for the cleanliness of beaches and marinas, Umag-Umago o as a tourist destination is particularly proud of.
The tourist mini train connects Umag-Umago with Katoro-Catoro where a Roman archaeological finds can be visited.
History and Heritage
What is now a peninsula, used to be an island once, and the settlement itself was situated at the end of the port of Umag-Umago. The town walls – with the town gate and a draw-bridge were built in the 10th century. They have been partially preserved on the south-western part, next to the Town Museum (which was one of the defence towers with the battlements in the shape of ‘a swallow’s tale’, which can steel be seen from the sea side).
At the entrance to the historic core stands the church of St. Roche, built after the plague epidemics in 1507. In the interior of the church there is a remarkable wooden ceiling painted by oil from 18th century.
The parish church of The Assumption of Virgin Mary and St. Peregrine, the patron saint of the city of Umag-Umago o was built after the design of the architect Filippo Dongeti from Piran. The late baroque façade remained unfinished. On the interior side of the church entrance there is an immured depiction of St. Peregrine from 14th century. The fresco on the church ceiling is attributed to Giuseppe Bernardino Bison from Palmanova. On the main altar there are the statues of St. Peregrine and St. Nicefor.
In the church there are various altarpieces and fragments of a wooden triptych from 15th century. The highlight should be on the statue of the Virgin Mary of the Sorrows attributed to some of Vivarini’s followers. The church-organ originates from 1776. The Venetian lion on the bell tower was originally found on the city hall destroyed by fire in 1924. By the way, the 33m bell-tower originates from 1651.
The public town cistern from 1677 was renovated in 1780. Behind the Parish Church, there is a metal ball, impressed into the wall, east of the abscissa: historians say that it is a cannon-ball fired by a ship from Genoa in 1810. The ancient houses decorated by lovely byphoras, narrow streets, coats of arms and inscriptions make a recognizable part of Umag-Umago o and can be found on the western side of the town.
In the façade of the house in Epifanio Street No. 3, there is an immured free Christian sarcophagus from the 5th century. On many houses you will notice holed stone girders used for hanging and showing embroidered posters, which protected the interior of the home from sunshine.
Finally, carry on to the break-water. Its construction began in 1825 and it is 404 meters long.
On the St. Pelegrine beach there is the church with same name from 1401 which was built on the place where St. Peregrine endured his martyrdom.